Developed by Stanford University pain researchers, this two-hour, evidence-based pain class* rapidly equips you with pain management skills. Join us for this Zoom course to learn to self-manage your pain and symptoms through interactive discussion, pain education, relaxation training, goal setting, cognitive restructuring, problem solving, and action planning. At the end of the course, you will receive a free binaural relaxation audio file and your own personalized plan for pain relief!
- Decades of research has shown us that pain is best treated using a biopsychosocial or “whole person” approach. This course empowers you to be an active participant in your pain care plan.
- With millions of dollars in funding from the National Institutes of Health, Stanford pain researchers developed and validated this class as similar in efficacy to the “gold standard” 8-week cognitive-behavioral treatment program.
- Research indicates that Empowered Relief™ reduces pain intensity, pain-related distress, and pain interference. Secondary outcomes include improvements in pain self-efficacy, pain bothersomeness, sleep disturbance, depression, anxiety, and fatigue. All improvements were sustained at 3 months after taking this class.
March 11, 2023
Saturday 9:30-11:30am MT
*Course is non-refundable.
Proactive Pain Relief
Are you suffering from chronic pain? You are not alone. Unfortunately, we are not always given the best information about persistent pain and how to treat it. Instead, we are often told there is nothing that can be done, and that we just have to “live with it”. The truth is that there are things we can do to take back control and get relief from our pain.
Take a proactive approach to pain relief! This course simplifies the body and brain processes involved with persistent pain, and empowers you with practical, evidence-based tools to tackle it from multiple directions. It’s time to feel safe and comfortable again in your own body.
Dr. Carris’ approach is informed by neurophysiology, Pain Reprocessing Therapy, mindfulness-based treatments, somatic and emotional expression techniques, Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, and the Adaptive Information Processing model that informs EMDR.
Join Dr. Carris for Proactive Pain Relief, an 8-week online course that will help you:
RELEARN the truth about pain to demystify your experience
REWIRE your brain to relieve pain from the inside out
RECLAIM your life!
Start your journey and:
- improve your ability to regulate your nervous system, to set the foundation for progress
- learn to be with your sensations differently, so that you feel safe and comfortable in your body again
- improve your perspective on yourself, your pain, relationships, and the future
- reduce anxiety, worried or racing thoughts, and fear-based avoidance of activity
- reduce or eliminate pain symptoms, and better manage triggers and flares
- improve daily functioning, sleep, attitude, mood, well-being, and quality of life
- increase your focus on positive experiences
- move from “why me?” to “what now?”
- get unstuck and find real relief
Fill out pre-course questionnaires to give Dr. Carris helpful information about you and your needs. Then join your Zoom group for two sessions each week (2.5 hours total on two different days; 1.5 hours for the class lesson, and 1 hour for in-depth practice and Q&A). You will also have the opportunity to strengthen your skills through daily practices and assignments.
* This course is a good fit for MOST people with chronic or persistent pain. However, although much of the information presented can be useful for those dealing with serious, unstable structural issues (such as tumors, infections, broken bones, inflammatory disease, etc.), this course is not intended for that type of chronic pain. Please contact Dr. Carris if you are unsure if you are a good candidate, or for more details.
Proactive Pain Relief
Tuesday Classes: April 18, 2023 – June 6, 2023
5:30pm – 7pm MT
Thursday Q&As/Practices: April 20, 2023 – June 8, 2023
6pm – 7pm MT
$495 (minimum 4 participants)
Mindfulness & Meditation for Wellness
Are you feeling overwhelmed, moody, agitated, and disconnected from yourself and others? Running on auto-pilot? Struggling with chronic pain? As we know, there will always be situations in life that elicit stress. But often it is not the stressors themselves that are the problem, but how we respond to them. This is good news, because it means we can transform our experiences by changing the way we pay attention. Mindfulness is the antidote.
To be mindful is to pay attention on purpose to our experiences as they are unfolding in the present moment. This creates the conditions for healing and growth. Mindfulness reduces our tendency to get hooked by past or future concerns, improves acceptance of “what is”, and brings clarity about the patterns we would like to change. It also teaches us to respond proactively, instead of reactively, to life’s challenges.
Research shows that mindfulness can reduce pain, anxious and depressive symptoms, and distracted, racing thoughts. It can improve coping, well-being, and mental flexibility. It has even been found to change the structure and function of the brain!
Join Dr. Carris for an 8-week, online mindfulness course that will change your perspective and change your life!
In this class, you will learn:
- the definition and philosophy of mindfulness
- the psychological and physical health benefits
- the importance of a trauma-sensitive approach
- multiple mindfulness meditation practices, postures, and breathing techniques
- methods of dealing with distracting thoughts, emotions, discomfort, or pain during meditation and in your life
- important information about your amazing and complex nervous system (including Polvagal Theory) and the concept of neuroplasticity
- how stress and pain affect the brain and body, and what you can do about it
- how mindfulness helps increase clarity of – and your response to – habitual patterns of thoughts, emotions, physical sensations (including pain), and behaviors
- how to improve your relationship with yourself and others (including healthy communication skills)
- how to use mindfulness to improve your approach to work, sleep, and time
Hone your inner capacity for growth and healing through the practice of mindfulness.
EXCITING NEWS: Dr. Carris is reconstructing this course to make it more accessible. She is transforming this previously live 8-week course into easily digestible videos that you can view at times that work best for you. We still encourage you to follow the eight-week process, to help build these healthy habits and reinforce your knowledge on a consistent basis. Class content will be dripped out once per week to follow that structure.
Each week, you will get access to:
- multiple recordings for each week (lessons and guided practices)
- worksheets to supplement lessons and practices
- all of the content in “book form”, with each week’s content released after you watch the pre-recorded video classes
- the opportunity to join LIVE sessions with Dr. Carris, to practice together, ask questions, and get support in real time.
Classes will be accessible in March 2023!
Mindfulness and Meditation for Wellness
“…very impressed…highly recommend.”
Debra and Mark Garske
“…changed my life… highly recommend…so worth it.”
“…deeply enriched my life”
“…great teacher… genuinely interested in the success and wellness of her students.”
“…huge impact on my life. Missy's perspective as a Psychologist, along with her passion for and extensive study of mindfulness and meditation and their impacts on our lives and health were a priceless combination”
Ready for Relief?
No-one should have to go through life believing they have no control over their pain or stress.
It’s time to get unstuck and find relief.